Whilst each building project is unique, the following build cost calculator will give you an idea of what you need to budget for your new build, extension or renovation project.
This outline budget can then be developed with your architect and or appointed QS. An accurate price can only be derived with detailed tender and construction drawings & scope of works.
To get started simply add your contact details, then simply select the appropriate options from the construction cost calculator below that matches the type of project you are considering.If your project has a combination of extension and refurbishment then use each calculator individually and combine the totals.The whole process takes just 30 seconds.
Best of all, it will give you the insight you need at the preparation and planning permission stage of your project.
The estimated build cost shown below will give a very good outline indicator of the Budget Allowance for building or refurbishing your project. As noted previously an accurate price can only be determined with full construction information. When tendering your builder will also factor in Prelims depending on the size and complexity of the project which could be an additional 5-10%
You will also need to factor in additional costs such as:
- VAT – the calculator does not include for VAT. For a standard extension or refurbishment this will be standard rated at 20% where as a new build project would be zero rated. .
- Design Fees: Architects may charge anywhere between 5-15% of the total build cost for a service involving design, planning, building regulation, tender, construction drawings and supervision.
- Planning Application Fees: Householder application currently costs £206.00 for an Extension or Alteration or £462 for a single New House. Check with www.PlanningPortal.gov.uk or your local authority what the relevant fees are for your application.
- Building Regulations Fees: Fees will vary according to the size of your extension and the type of project. Check with your local authority building control department, or an independent Approved Inspector.
- Structural Engineers’ Fees: £400-4,000 depending on scale of project
- Measured Survey of Existing Property: £600-1,400
- Topographical Site Survey: Typical cost £400-800
- Party Wall Fees (with each neighbour): Typical cost. £1,000
- Site Insurance: £500-800. Check whether you home insurer will cover the building during this period; they may charge an additional premium.
If you have any queries or wish to discuss your project in more detail please contact our Yorkshire office on 0113 252 9900 or Surrey office on 0203 701 2370 or contact firstname.lastname@example.org